Product Manager Resources
I’ve had a people ask from time-to-time for articles that give a good overview of the product management role along with resources for improving as a product manager. This is a list of the must-read resources that I’ve found online and in books.
What is the role of a product manager?
The ﬁrst link isn’t an article, but I’ve always loved this clip as it quickly communicates the essence of the product manager role. The following articles all give a well-rounded overview of what a product manager does.
- Bud Tribble and Steve Jobs describing a Product Manager role in 1986 (YouTube)
- What, exactly, is a Product Manager? | Mind the Product
- The Product Manager Contribution | Silicon Valley Product Group
- What Does a Product Manager Do? | Brent Tworetzky
Product management newsletters
Lately I’ve found that most of the new things that I learn in product come from newsletters. The newsletters I’ve linked to below are those that I consistently glean insights from.
- Marty Cagan’s SVPG Newsletter
- Lenny’s Newsletter
- John Cutler’s “Beautiful Mess”
- Ken Norton’s “Bringing the Donuts”
Essential product management books
If I could put together a class on product management, these books would be the required reading. Not all of them are strictly about product managment but they will absolutely help you improve as a product manager.